Saturday, September 20, 2008

First night in Dorm 5

So like I said last time, I was nervous that having a Wartbobble as a roommate might be a bit of a drag. I just kind of thought that Headmistress Wartbobble's influence might insist on studying on our free time, going to bed early, keeping the room extra clean, etc. But it turns out that Winnie Wartbobble is quite a chatterbox! I was exhausted and ready to snooze and she started talking right when the lights went out. She told us about her earliest childhood memory...a happy one it seems, at Disneyland! I've never been to Disneyland. I have 2 early memories and I always wonder if they are really memories or not, because when I think of them, I mostly picture myself, so I don't know if it's stories I've heard or what. When I was very young, my grandparents were babysitting me while my parents were out. I remember standing at the front door in my pjs with my hair in a clip sticking straight up, like Pebbles Flintstone from that silly Muggle cartoon. I was looking for my parents to come back. My other one was when we were at the beach with my older cousins. I had long hair, so I might have been 4? I remember my cousin, who always enjoyed picking on me, pushing me under the water and I remember feeling like I was drowning, even though the water was barely high enough to cover my face when I was lying down and even though I had already been taking swimming lessons for years at this point. I remember the smell of my cousin's tanning lotion and my other cousin's white bathing suit with rainbow colored hearts on it. I also think I remember getting in a little bit of trouble for "crying wolf" and saying I had drowned. Obviously, I hadn't actually drowned, but for Pete's sake, I was probably 4 years old and may not have known the exact definition of drowned!

1 comment:

Winnie said...

It's funny. Now that I'm older those memories really seem like memories of memories, you know?