Saturday, November 15, 2008
1. Who was Tom Riddle Sr.'s girlfriend before Merope gave him the love potion?
2. What does Luna say floated into Harry's ear when he was in the train car that supposedly caused him to lose focus?
3. How much do the primary Apparition lessons cost?
a. 10 galleons
b. 8 galleons
c. 15 galleons
d. 12 galleons
4. What is Professor Merrythought's first name?
5. What Hogwarts club was Eileen Prince captain of?
a. Charms Club
b. Gobstones Club
c. The Slug Club
d. Occlumency Club
6. Who is head of the Goblin Liaison office?
a. Ambrosius Flume
b. Dirk Cresswell
c. Ciceron Harkiss
d. Barnabas Cuffe
7. Mrs. Weasley offers Fleur a goblin-made tiara for the wedding with Bill. What family member is currently in possession of the tiara?
a. Aunt Muriel
b. Aunt Ethel
c. Aunt Edna
d. Aunt Thelma
8. How many points does Snape take from Gryffindor for Harry's late arrival and muggle attire?
9. When Profressory Slughorn first meets Hermione, he asks her whether she is related to Hector Dagworth-Granger. What society did Dgworth-Granger found?
a. The Most Extraordinary Society of Charms
d. The Most Extraordinary Society of Herbology
c. The Most Extraordinary Society of the Defense Against the Dark Arts
d. The Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers
10. Which of these describes Golpalott's Third Law?
a. The antidote for blended poison will be equal to less than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separate components
b. The antidote for a blended poison will be equal to less than the product of the antidotes for each of the separate compenents
c. The antidote for a blended poison will be equal to more than the product of the antidotes for each of the separate compenents
d. The antidote for a blended poison will be equal to more than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separtea components
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
That the young Tom Riddle wanted to be special and different.
That he had no friends and was independent.
That he liked to collect "trophies" from his victims.
#2 What did Merope sell when she was alone in London before the baby was born?
#3 What does Mrs Cole like to drink?
#4 What does Tom Riddle demand Professor Dumbledore do twice when they first met?
"Tell the truth"
#5 What did Mundungus nick from the Black house?
Friday, October 31, 2008
I miss being home for Halloween, but Hogwarts was just as fun!
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Even so, "it's what's inside that counts" and the goodies inside were still safe, sound and wonderful!
I was waiting on this post until I had pictures, but I might be using the wrong photo uploading spell because it's just not working for me. I'll come back and add them later.
Opening this package was really fun... it seemed like every time I looked inside, there was something else!
An owl of my very own (won't have to share with my sister anymore!), a cat, and a snake...not an approved Hogwarts pet, but that adds to the fun! Also, some knitting needles in house colors!
A Hogwarts trunk full of goodies!
Loads of goodies- candy, a rubber witchy ducky, Slytherin stitch markers, lots of cute halloween towels/pot holders, some halloween socks, "The Little Box of Socks"--full of sock patterns, and a "Toobie". I could not for the life of me figure out what this was! Good thing Grandma Grubblyplank included the business card so I could go check it out! Maybe I'm the last to know, but it's sock yarn that's already knitted up, so instead of knitting it from a ball, you just unknit it from this Toobie as you knit it into a sock. At least that's my understanding...please correct me if I'm wrong!
And I better start knitting a little faster... a lot of misc. yarn was added to my stash by my spoiler, Grandma Grubblyplank.
Please post answers to this quiz by Friday night. If you finished the quiz from last week, your name will be entered into this weeks drawing but do not forget to post for this week!
1. Where did the first kiss between harry and Ginny occur?
a. The Gryffindor Common Room
b. The library
c. The hallway by the painted fruit
d. The Quidditch Field
2. Severus Snape made an unbreakable vow to whom?
a. Peter Pettigrew
b. Narcissa Malfoy
c. Harry Potter
d. Lily Potter
3. Why is Hagrid upset with Ron, Harry and Hermione?
a. They do not visit him anymore
b. They got in trouble with Umbridge
c. They did not take his class in their 6th year
d. They did not help bury Aragog
4. Who is the Half-Blood Prince?
a. Lucious Malfoy
b. Severus Snape
c. Tom Riddle
d. The Pepmobismal Queen Umbridge
5. At what age are you legally allowed to Apparate?
6. How long does it take to brew a batch of Felix Felicis?
a. One week
b. 3 months
c. 6 months
d. 1 year
7. What happens if you break an Unbreakable Vow?
a. You get detention with Umbridge for the rest of your life
b. Your toenails turn green and fall off
c. You die
d. You never are allowed to eat chocolate again
8. Which one of your roommates snores the loudest?
I can't rat on my roommates like that!
9. Which Hogwart's student is secretly dating the new DADA Professor Lucius Whitmarsh?
10. Describe your favorite item found in Weasley's Wizard Wheezes!
Those little pygmy puffs are too cute! Although the love potions could come in handy.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
1. What animal does the portrait in the Muggle Prime Minster’s office resemble?
2. What drink does Romilda Vane try to give Harry?
c. Pumpkin Juice
d. Elf-Made Wine
3. What is the name of the person who heads the Holyhead Harpies?
a. Gwenog Smith
b. Gwenog Jones
c. Glen Jones
d. Glen Smith
4. How many ‘Exceeds Expectation’ grades does Harry receive in his O.W.L’s?
5. What is Professor Sughorn’s favorite candy?
a. Cockroach Clusters
b. Sherbet Lemon
c. Acid Pops
d. Crystallized Pineapple
6. What tattoo is Harry reported to have on his chest?
b. Blast Ended Skrewt
7. What color robes do the staff at the Weasley’s shop wear?
c. Royal Blue
8. What is the man outside Flourish and Blotts selling?
9. How much is the skull, which Hermione enquires about at Borgin and Burkes, worth?
a. 9 Galleons
b. 18 Galleons
c. 16 Galleons
d. 12 Galleons
10. What are Professor Slughorn’s initials?
Friday, October 10, 2008
-An order of yarn, including the yarn for my spoilee
-Another order of yarn, because yarn I contemplated but did not order went on sale the very next day. I decided that was a sign and couldn't pass it up!
-The package from my Gryffindor partner...she sent me a note to say it was on the way!!
-A package of magically-made doll clothes for a Muggle friend's daughter.
Other than that, I've been bogged down with homework and extra-curriculars. The good side of that is I rarely have the opportunity to see Olive around school...except of course for our weekly study sessions.
I enchanted my needles and made a tiny sock for a wee sock swap. It's my first tiny sock, and I must've mixed up the spell a bit, so I had to do some minor sock surgery.
Monday, October 6, 2008
I do have a study session with my smartypants sister Olive tonight. Maybe I can get her to "help" me.
In the meantime, I'm going to practice some of my Charms work.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
- Are you a sock knitter?What are your foot measurements? I do knit socks...I start more than I finish ;) but 2-at-a-time magic loop style seems to do the trick. I wear a size 5.5-6.5 shoe, and my foot is about 8 inches long
- Do you have a yarn winder and/or a swift? Neither. It's on my Christmas list!
- Where/how to you keep you needles/hooks? Matilda Edgecombe sent me a lovely needle case last term! I keep many of my needles/hooks in there! I also use the binder that came with my Knit Picks Options and will probably order more inserts on my next order.
- Do you collect anything? Not actively. My favorite animal is a moose, so people sometimes send me moose goodies. I also love Peanuts (Charlie Brown/Snoopy things) and I would like to decorate my scrapbook area with a few cute, funky robots.
- What is your favorite type of music? Are you MP3 ready? I like most music. I typically listen to pop (?) whatever's on the general radio station. I also listen to country, oldies (when I was growing up my dad told me that was the only station besides sports radio that worked in the car), and showtunes I guess. I have an iPod and an mp3 player.
- Do you like sweets? What are your favorites? I love them! I especially love chocolatey sweets, caramelly sweets, and pumpkinny sweets. I am not opposed to fruity or other kinds of sweets.
- What is your living situation like? Any pets? Children? My living situation... I live in Military Family Housing. Since we have no kids, we are in a 2 bed, 1 bath. 1 bath is difficult to manage! It's been almost 3.5 years and I'm still getting used to sharing! Pets? well, I just won 5 hermit crabs for classroom pets! Other than that, my 2 cats live with their grandma (too $$$ to ship them over).
- Do you have an online wish list (Amazon, Etsy, Loopy Ewe, etc.)? Please include links for your swap pal. No, I should work on one. Can you make a wish list on Etsy? Or is it just the favorites?
- Favorite Harry Potter movie character? Hmm...Hermione, maybe?
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
a. Hestia Jones
b. Elphais Doge
c. Emmeline Vance p.14
d. Dedalus Diggle
2. What animal does Bellatrix Lestrange kill when she and her sister, Narcissa, are going to see Professor Snape?
b. Fox p.20
3. What time does Professor Dumbledore collect Harry from Privet Drive?
b. 11 p.m. p.43
d. 11 a.m.
4. What did Professor Sluhorn transform into when he was trying to hide from Harry and Professor Dumbledore?
a. An armchair p.64
b. A bed
c. A table
d. A wardrobe
5. What grade did Harry get for Herbology?
a. E – Exceeds Expectation p.102
b. P – Poor
c. O – Outstanding
d. A – Acceptable
6. Herbert Chorley, the Prime Minister’s Junior Minster, has been entertaining the public by impersonating which animal?
a. A hen
b. A duck p.17
c. A lion
d. A squirrel
7. What is Professor Sprout’s first name?
8. What is Dumbledore’s idea of ‘a few words’?
a. nitwit, odder, blubber rand tweak
b. nitwit, odder, bubblegum and tweak
c. nitwit, oddment, bubblegum and tweak
d. nitwit, oddment, blubber and tweak p.644
9. Who is Marcus Belby’s famous uncle?
b. Damocles p.144
10. What is Snape’s mother’s name?
a. Helana Prince
b. Eileen Prince p.537
c. Lily Prince
d. Elizabeth Prine
Post pictures to your blogs or link to the pictures from your blog post.
Monday, September 22, 2008
I usually hate picture day, it's so hard to choose an outfit to be forever immortalized in! Now that I'm at Hogwarts, it will be much easier... I do love school uniforms!
Here's a picture of me at Muggle School...when I was in 3rd grade.
And here I am in Muggle School last year: (one of the great joys of being a teacher is continuing to collect school pictures long into adulthood)
And finally, my first Hogwarts School Picture. Aren't magic photos great fun?
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Friday, September 19, 2008
My other dormmates are Cecily Fortescue, Emma Gorodok, and...get this...Winifred Wartbobble! Olive will be over the moon at that. Miss Wartbobble is, after all, our headmistress, and surely her influence will keep me on the straight and narrow. Cecily is a 2nd year, and Emma is a 4th year. I'm the only 1st year in the room! I hope they don't try to give me Canary Creams. Olive wrote a letter home about that her first year, and I've heard a couple rumors that some students have been passing them out to unsuspecting 1st years! Although, I do think that Nosebleed Nougat would be much, much worse!
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Potter Name: Jade Bladvak. I'm also used to responding to Olive's Little Sister.
Rav ID: knittingbec
I am allergic to: Coconut. Not really...but I don't like it so I always tell people I'm allergic.
Pets that I have: None that live with me.
My favorite yarn: It's hard to pick a favorite...I love the Dream in Color Colors, Malabrigo is so soft, and Claudia Handpainted was really nice to knit with.
If you are a Ravenclaw, do you prefer the film colors or the book colors? Much to my sister's dismay, I'm all SLYTHERIN!
My favorite flavor: Of what? If we're talking Skittles, I like red and purple best. I like chocolate all the time. Other flavors, I guess it depends on what I'm going for. Two flavors I NEVER go for are black licorice or hot-cinnamon.
My favorite holiday: Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas Do I have to pick just one?? Christmas and Thanksgiving are a tie...Halloween not too far behind.
I would like to receive a: (Sock kit, scarf kit or yarn dyeing kit) Sock kit or scarf kit.
List your favorite brand of needles or hooks, including size and length: My favorite (because I use them most often) are KnitPicks needles. I like long cables so I can use the same needle for magic-looping a pair of socks and then use it for a sweater or something. My favorite size depends on what I'm knitting I guess, although I tend to be a bit afraid of anything less than 0.
Is there a brand that you are dying to try?: Not necessarily. But I'm open to anything.
I’ve participated in HSKS: (How many times have you participated in HSKS swaps?) This is my 3rd time (twice as Ravenclaw Olive Bladvak)
Do you have a birthday during this swap? If so which day? Nope.
- Do you knit and/or crochet? I knit. I would like to crochet, but thus far I've only managed to confuse myself.
- How long have you been at your craft? I've been knitting since about 2002, but constantly knitting since 2006 or so.
- Do you spin? Nope. Don't have time (or space!) to add another hobby!
- What type of spinning do you do (drop spindle or wheel)? No spinning for me.
- Are there any other crafts that you participate in? I scrapbook and do some sewing. I also love to cook and bake.
- What are your favorite yarns/fibers? I'm open to all kinds of yarns/fibers, depending on the project.
- What are your LEAST favorite yarns/fibers? I tend to dislike yarns that split easily. I also don't do a whole lot with novelty yarns.
- Are there any types/brands of yarn that you are dying to work with but haven’t gotten a chance? I've never worked with any Noro. Almost all of my yarn is bought online, so I tend to stick with what I know. I'd love to branch out and try what other people love!
- What are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet? I love making myself sweaters! I also do a lot of baby stuff, and 2-at-a-time socks.
- What are you currently working on? A Clapotis for a birthday gift, a February Lady Sweater for myself (just the sleeves left!) and as soon as the yarn arrives, a pair of thrummed mittens.
- Anything you plan to start this autumn? Some gift knitting...I want to make the Malabrigo slippers, a hat, some mitts, etc. And I'll probably sneak something in for myself too!
- What is your favorite Finished Object? (Please, post a picture if you would like.) I have a feeling I am going to love my FLS when it's done. But so far, my favorite FO is my Minimalist Cardigan. (ravelry link)
- Are there any knitting/crochet techniques that you would like to learn? I would love to be better at finishing--I'm not entirely confident in seaming or even in weaving in ends! And as I said in the 1st question, I would like to be able to crochet without frustration!
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Sunday, September 7, 2008
I need to make some changes around here, first to get rid of all of this blue and bronze! The sorting hat has put me in Slytherin. And I think I'll fit right in.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Anyway... I'm waiting now for Marty to arrive at Matilda's house...shouldn't be much longer! I do hope she enjoys the package I put together for her!
Thursday, July 17, 2008
c North America
d. South of France
2. Professor Umbridge comes to Hagrid's Hut and searches his cabin one evening (as she believes Harry, Ron and Hermione are there visiting him at night when they are not supposed to). When she walks past the place where Harry, Ron and Hermione are hiding under the Invisibility Cloak, Harry holds his breath. True or false?
3. A stately-looking witch in an emerald green shawl is one of the members of the Advance Guard who rescues Harry from Privet Drive. What is her name?
a. Emmeline Vance
b. Dorcas Meadowes
c. Amelia Susan Bones
d. Bellatrix Regulax
4. What is the name of the witch who was killed two weeks after the photo of the original Order of the Phoenix was taken?
a. Alice Longbottom
b. Marlene McKinnon
c. Emma Fenwick
d. Dorcas Meadowes
5. Which two fifth year Ravenclaw students does Dumbledore choose to be prefects?
a. Terry Boot and Mandy Brocklehurst
b. Luna Lovegood and Ernie Macmillan
c. Cho Chang and Michael Corner
d. Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil
6. Which house was Rose Zeller sorted into?
7. What is the color of Murtlap's essence?
d. It is transparent
8. Name the Ravenclaw girl who became prefect in Harry's fifth year.
a. Hannah Abott
b. Padma Patil
c. Luna Lovegood
d. Marietta Edgecombe
9. According to a healer's portrait at St. Mungo's hospital, which disease was Ron suffering from?
10. Which book did Harry give Hermione for Christmas?
a. "New Theory of Numberology"
b. "A Compendium of Common Curses and their Counter-Actions"
c. "Acheivements in Charming"
d. "Moste Potente Potions"
Picture Scavenger Hunt
(Extra 5 pts - What movie will Robert Patterson star in this December?)
Robert Pattinson will play Edward Cullen in the movie Twilight, set to release on 12 Dec.
Monday, July 14, 2008
In addition to some pretty paper (mulberry paper, I think is what my Muggle scrapbooking friend calls it) , tea, and a nice note from Matilda, there was also this:
Some Regia and Fortissima sock yarns in movie colors
Some star and moon stitch markers and matching earrings in a cute little ladybug box. The stars and moons really remind me of Lucky Charms marshmallows and I have since added Lucky Charms to the grocery list!
A cute little book full of sock patterns! This really made my day, as a sock pattern was missing from my last swap package.
Some super-pretty needles & stitch markers
A big and magical bag! I can fit a good-sized knitting project in here (like the February Lady sweater that the yarn for was waiting for me when I got back, or the Juliet that I bought yarn and buttons for in Australia!) The photo doesn't do the bag justice... and the inner fabric is magic wands!
And this needle case, which I have now put several sets of needles in!
I love it all, Matilda!! Thanks so very much!
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Today I leave via PortKey to Australia. Boy I wish I could apparate! I actually have to take 3 separate PortKeys and one of them will take 10 hours! I will be out of Hogwarts for about 11 days, but I already gave a note to the Prefect!
Friday, June 27, 2008
Go to Flickr.com and type your answers to the following questions (one at a time) into the Search Box.
1. What is your first name?
2. What is your favourite food?
3. What high school did you go to?
4. What is your favourite colour?
5. Who is your celebrity crush?
6. Favourite drink?
7. Dream vacation?
8. Favourite dessert?
9. What you want to be when you grow up?
10. What do you love most in life?
11. One word to describe you.
12. Your flickr name.
Choose 1 image from the FIRST page of results, remember the image you choose doesn't have to be exactly what you were looking for - just the image you like best from the first page.
Copy your URLs to the Mosaic Maker here and publish your mosaic to your blog.
1. Olive, 2. toast bed (double divan), 3. Hogwarts Castle.., 4. Dressing room, now teal, 5. Harry Potter Dog at Barnes and Noble Cumberland, 6. Butterbeer, 7. A Bit of Ireland, 8. HOT FUDGE SUNDAE, 9. Little Professor Hand-held Calculator, 10. Magic Music Mayhem 2, 11. Determined Plumeria, 12. Tooting Bec Lido doors
5. Harry Potter
6. Butterbeer, of course!
8. Hot Fudge Sundae
12. This one is funny... I looked up "knittingbec" and got no results, so I went for just "bec" (on my Muggle blog I went for just "knitting") and saw these doors in Tooting Bec... the funny part is that when I was first asked to make a username (I think on ebay?) I really wanted TootingBec...because I loved that underground stop so much that I had to have my picture by it, but TootingBec was already taken (by who, I can't help but wonder!)
Who to tag, who to tag? I'll try to look through some blogs tomorrow and see which of my classmates haven't answered yet!
Sunday, June 22, 2008
I also placed an order at another store for some yarn for those projects I have planned! So, owls should be coming my way soon!
Elves: Boy oh boy could I use a house elf right about now. I know they've been coming into the common room to start the fires each night, but I wish I'd be in there when they do... I'd love to see if I could convince one to give me some tips about how to keep my section of our dormitory clean. I feel so terribly about my mess...and the fact that my roommates have to live with it! I have a big pile of clean clothes, an even bigger pile of dirty clothes, and supplies for my Muggle scrapbook are strewn about!
Portkeys: In under 2 weeks, I will be taking a PortKey to Australia! I'm very excited, but nervous as I haven't signed up for my 2nd PortKey just yet. Need to do that today or tomorrow. I will go to the Gold Coast/Brisbane area first, then...don't forget to sign up for this PortKey!...to Sydney. I'm running in a Muggle marathon (but I'd love to see if I can sneak my broomstick in!) in Gold Coast, then sight-seeing and visiting a cousin studying at a school of Magic in Sydney.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
a. Professor Snape
b. Professor Umbridge
d. Harry Potter
2. Off what street is the alley where Harry first met Sirius?
a. Diagon Alley
b. Little Whinging
3. Tonks’ mother had two sisters, both pure-bloods, and both left on the Black Family Tree. What are their names?
a. Elladora and Meliflua
b. Bellatrix and Elladora
c. Narcissa and Bellatrix
d. Meliflua and Narcissa
4. What spell are the students studying in McGonalgall’s class when Umbrdige is doing her inspection?
a. The Acquiring Spell
b. The Shrinking Spell
c. The Demolishing Spell
d. The Vanishing Spell
5. Who comes to warn Harry and the rest of Dumbledore’s Army that Umbridge and her group of followers are coming to break up their meeting?
Answer: _______Dobby________________ (five letters)
6. Who are the members of the Order that met Harry Potter in the Dursely’s house during the summer before his fifth year?
a. Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Alastor Moody, Sturgis Podmore, Dedalus Diggle, Hestia Jones, Elphias Doge, Nymphadora Tonks, Mundungus Fletcher
b. Alastor Moody, Albus Dumbledore, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Nymphadora Tonks, Dedalus Diggle, Sturgis Podmore, Emmeline Vance
c. Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Remus Lupin, Emmeline Vance, Sturgis Podmore, Hestia Jones
d. Remus Lupin, Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Sirius Black, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Sturgis Podmore, Hestia Jones
7. Moody used the Disillusionment Charm on Harry.
8. Which of these Death Eaters is Sirius related to?
a. Lucius Malfoy
b. Bellatrix Lestrange
c. Regulus Black
d. All of these
9. At what age did Sirius leave his home?
Answer: __________16_________ (Number)
10. How many of the original Order members were killed (don’t include those who disappeared)?
c. 6d. 10
Post these pictures to your blog. They must either be posted or linked to from your blog in order to receive points.
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
I did conjure up some simply magical cupcakes this morning for a function... the link to the recipe can be found on this blog: Bakerella
Friday, June 6, 2008
I've been so, so busy. In the next few days, though, my job of helping Muggle students learn to read and do math will be over and I can just focus on my work at Hogwarts. I can't wait!
Friday, May 30, 2008
1. Which of Arabella Figg’s cats ran out from under the car?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Albus Dumbledore’s middle names?
3. Which educational decree introduced a High Inquisitor to Hogwarts?
D. (3?) 23
4. Apart from Harry, Ron and Hermione, who was the first person to enter the Hog’s Head that showed an interest in Harry’s Defence Against the Dark Arts classes?
B. (1?) Neville Longbottom
5. In the first Quidditch match of the year which player attempted to score first?
A. Angelina Johnson
6. What kind of bush does Harry hide behind to listen to the news?
B. A hydrangea bush
7. Why is Mundungus Fletcher disguised as a woman when he witnesses the DA (Dumbledore’s Army) meeting in the Hog’s Head pub?
B. He was banned from the Hog’s Head pub 20 years ago.
8. When Harry and Cho go on their first date to Madam Puddifoot’s in Hogsmeade, what is it decorated with for Valentine’s Day?
A. Golden cherubs and pink confetti
9. How old is Sturgis Podmore and where does he live?
A. 38 and number 2 Laburnum Gardens Clapham
10. What did Fred and George Weasley do to Montague?
Hog's Head Pub
Mr. Weasley & Harry (together)
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
I've had a few knitting firsts, and many of them fairly recently. Finishing my first wearable sweater, my first magic loop socks, my first cabled project, my first time using Malabrigo, my first swap, etc.
But today I will share with you my first knitted gift. My first knitted gift was completed a year and a half ago for my "grandneighbor" Phoebe. It was my first completed blanket too. I gave the gift twice...the first time, at the baby shower, it was unfinished and still on-the-needles. The second time, I finished it up and took it over, just in time... I didn't realize that the baby had come the day before and was coming home from the hospital that day! Her dad took the blanket to the hospital, and the first thing I saw when I met little Phoebe was my blanket. Which I guess is her blanket. And her first handknit blanket to boot!
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Although I haven't been formally tagged, I saw this questionairre while visiting some of my classmates and thought I'd give it a go.
1. What was I doing 10 years ago? Well 10 years ago, I was just a wee 3 years old. My little sister Emerald Bladvak had just been born and my sister Jade was having a tough time adjusting to not being the baby anymore. The family lore says that when I was 3, I got hold of my dad’s wand and cast my first accidental spell and flooded the kitchen. Having no real recollection, I’m not sure I believe it!
Friday, May 23, 2008
In the meantime, I suppose I'll just enjoy the owl holiday and work on knitting Ophelia. We have 2 Ophelias here at Hogwarts, but hopefully in a few days, there will be one more... the Ophelia cardigan (pattern by Elizabeth Klett)! And, when my fingers need a break from knitting, I'll be sure to finally catch up on Google's Magical Reader. I got everyone's name loaded in and now I need to read some 300 posts...guess I don't actually need any owls to bring me reading material after all!
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
I will have about an hour and a half of solid knitting this evening, as I've agreed to go watch Viktor Scamander and some of his Gryffindor pals play baseball. One of the boys played on a Muggle team all his life, and is teaching them to play. It should be interesting to see if anyone tries putting any charms on the ball...or the players!
I did manage to finish the Ravenclaw House Homework. If you haven't done yours yet and want to figure it out on your own, you should stop reading here... Otherwise, scroll down a bit to see it.
Can you keep a secret? The Headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix is at No. 12 Grimmauld Place
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Besides getting my social activities organized, I've also been quite busy with homework, knitting (just finished a gift for a friend yesterday...then started something for myself), and going for walks and runs around the grounds. I'm always exhausted... I only just managed to be awake at the same time as the 2 girls I share a dormitory with, Agatha Vablatsky and Emma Lovegoods. They do seem quite nice! I only hope that all my yawning didn't make them feel that I was bored with them! It's always hard to get back in the swing of things when you return to school. I remember feeling that way when I attended Muggle elementary school too. Well, my eyelids are beginning to feel heavy... maybe just a quick nap so I can be awake later for some good conversation with Agatha and Emma.
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
My name is Olive Altheda Bladvak. I was named for a shade of my mother's favorite color and a character in her favorite childhood story from Tales of Beedle the Bard ("The Fountain of Fair Fortune"). I am the oldest of 4 girls, and my sisters are all named for shades of green as well: Jade, Emerald & Kelly. My parents met at Hogwarts years ago, when my mother was a third year Ravenclaw and my father was a 5th year Hufflepuff. We live in London, very close to the Ministry of Magic, as my father likes to start each of his days at the Goblin Liason Office with a brisk walk to work. My mother's favorite class was always a History of Hogwarts, and she works part-time at the Museum of Quidditch.
As much as I enjoy the company of my sisters, I am glad to have Hogwarts to myself for the time being. Although I was quite nervous when I arrived at Hogwarts last year, I've found that I fit right in in Ravenclaw House (just as my dad was sure I would!) because I love to think, read, write, and yes, even do homework! I think I might like to grow up to become a professor here at Hogwarts some day. When I'm not studying or trying to meet up with my housemates for some chatting by the fire in the common room, I much enjoy knitting, reading for fun, running, and cooking. Of course, I've only been allowed to cook in the Muggle fashion thus far, so I can't wait until I can start incorporating magic into my cooking and baking like my mum does! I also like to sew; I only wish my good old Muggle sewing machine would work at Hogwarts. Too much magic buzzing around. A good friend of mine showed me how to make a Muggle scrapbook, so I love to do that now too! Oh, and I mustn't forget that one of the things I most enjoy doing is getting Owl Post! My grandmother and I write each other often and between letters to her and new yarn deliveries, my owl Marty (short for Martini) is kept very busy!
I've been fortunate to travel to many places with both of my parents, as their jobs often have them collecting information from interesting places. I've been to Greece, Italy, Germany, a few other places in Europe, Japan (we even used a PortKey to get to the top of Mount Fuji!), Mexico and the United States. Interesting magic all over the world! I love to travel, especially by Floo, and we've even taken a few rides on Muggle airplanes. I guess they're more comfortable than broomsticks for long flights. Still, my dream is to go somewhere where I will see a moose. I just love moose, and though I have a growing collection of moose things, I've yet to see a real one!
I don't know what other information to include in my biography... I'm only 13, so I haven't a whole lot to write about just yet. I do hope you enjoyed learning a bit more about me and my family!
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Monday, May 12, 2008
Thursday, May 8, 2008
A few students are participating in some kind of inter-house wizardship program. I'm not sure of all the details, just what I've heard via owl or in the Daily Prophet, but apparently there will be some house-switching in order to promote school unity. I have a feeling this term will be even more fun than last! Well, back to check that I've packed plenty of clean robes & all my spell books!
Thursday, May 1, 2008
[None of my attempts at loading pictures right now are working... so I'll have to come back and add them a little later...]
I received my kit in the mail on Tuesday. (This has been a great mail week...4 packages, 3 knitting related!)
My kit came to me from Clara Clovenhoove, a Gryffindor. I knew it was "it" when I got the box, but waited and grabbed my camera first!
I got some really lovely yarn from Crazy 4 Dyeing. The colors are just gorgeous and the yarn is soft.
The bag is both knit and sewn... it's a dark blue and very soft yarn with a bronzey fabric lining with stars.
The stitch markers go along with both the color theme & the star theme of the bag.
And I got 2 circular needles, so I can try some socks on 2 circs (I've mostly been doing Magic Loop on 1 long needle) That will be a new technique and a new brand of needles to try out soon! (Oh, and a good excuse to get a new knitting book!)
Thanks, Clara! I can't wait to get to that beautiful yarn... I have a large pile of yarn building up though and a couple of must-finish projects first.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Although I haven't had the joy of receiving my sock kit yet, I was very pleasantly surprised to receive and owl with my 2nd prize of the term... some Gryffindor colored Lorna's Laces sock yarn. It's called "Parry Hotter", and came with a note explaining that it's an exclusive colorway! Even though I'm not a Gryffindor, my boyfriend Viktor Scamander is, so I'll be able to wear some Gryffindor colored socks to secretly support him during Quidditch matches, while still showing my Ravenclaw pride! I promise I'll take a picture of the Lorna's Laces and the Faery Fiber's Fawkes yarn that I won in a House Quiz soon! I finally got new batteries for my muggle camera, and now it works like a charm. (Could be the longevity charm I put on the batteries before putting them in the camera!)
I am looking forward to signing up for the next sock kit swap! My sister Jade may be attending Hogwarts this year. Her birthday is right at the cut-off date, so my parents may talk to the headmistress about keeping her home for one more year since they think she might not be quite ready for all the responsibility that comes with studying magic away from home. I'd never tell my parents this, but I hope they do decide to keep her home... I like enjoying Hogwarts without having to keep an eye on my little sister. I'm sure they'd expect me to remind her to study and keep her out of trouble. She can be a bit of a trouble-maker, so that would really take away from my own study time. At least I can be fairly certain that she would NOT be sorted into Ravenclaw. Then I would only be responsible for looking after her in the main areas of the castle, and could just do my own thing when I'm in Ravenclaw Tower.
Friday, April 11, 2008
I'm still looking forward to the arrival of an owl with a package for me, but I really did have such a great time reading about all the stuff I sent to my pal, Perpetua Phoenixfire. You can read about it and see pictures here.
I think I must've had as much (or maybe more) fun reading her re-cap of it as she did opening it all up!
Also, Marty arrived back home today with some Muggle spells to increase (or, in one of our cases, decrease) the amount of galleons in your bank. I think the Muggles call them taxes. Even though I would've thought Marty'd be tired after all that traveling, he was still feeling strong enough to carry two parcels! Besides the tax spells, he brought a notebook from a 6th grader at a Muggle school. The notebook had already traveled around the western and midwestern United States, where each host wrote a journal entry and added some photos. The teacher included a note saying to send the book back to the class on May 1. I added some pictures and information right away and prepared to send it off to a friend in a frosty Muggle village in Alaska. After some quick treats for Marty and a quick snuggle, I sent him back off with the notebook, the Muggle tax spells, some birthday cards and letters. Poor Marty!
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Monday, April 7, 2008
I wonder how long it will be before Marty gets back from dropping off my partner's owl. He has quite a trip...maybe another week or so before he returns. In the meantime, I'll be watching the skies for an owl bringing my own swap kit!
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Friday, April 4, 2008
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
April 1st also means that this term at Hogwarts is rapidly coming to an end. Good thing another term is right around the corner!
Sunday, March 30, 2008
With the sweater finished, the idea of sitting and doing nothing just didn't appeal to me. So I planned to work on a pair of socks that I've been "working" on for months now. Until they were replaced by my sweater sleeves, they were my "little project" for taking with me in the car or if I anticipated a wait somewhere. Well, I have no idea where they are! I tried an Accio, socks in the common room and in my dormitory with no luck. So I decided to start a new pair! I spent some time with my hand upon the Fawkes yarn that my Prefect sent me, but decided not to use it until I am sure I can make a really nice pair of socks with it. Good thing, too...I'm 6 rounds in and I fear I may have already made a mistake!
Saturday, March 29, 2008
I can't wait until my finished and fired vase comes back!
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
I've been seeing all sorts of owls with packages bringing wonderful swap kits to many of my classmates! So exciting!
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Which Class at Hogwarts Would You Excel at?
You excel at Transfiguration. One of the most dificult classes, you seem to be a natural at turning a coke bottle into a homework pass.
Take this quiz!
| Make A Quiz | More Quizzes | Grab Code
Monday, March 24, 2008
Another thing that is almost ready is my sweater! I finished the right sleeve (I suppose it could be the left sleeve, but I kept on trying it on my right arm, so it just kind of seems like it should be the right sleeve) last night. Now the left sleeve and the neckline to go. Bummer... I really wanted to finish it and wear it on Thursday (3 weeks after I started it!) but I think I might need a few more days.