Friday, February 29, 2008
Thursday, February 28, 2008
After "finishing" my Back to School U-Neck Vest, I have to go back and undo the bind off. They really mean it when they say "bind off loosely". The darn thing wouldn't fit over my head. I should've just put it down for the night, because by that time I was so frustrated and I did not do a careful job undoing the bind off, so now I have to go back a few rows and redo them.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
1. What colorless and odorless potion forces the drinker to tell the truth?
2. If the spell to Apparate goes wrong and leaves half of you behind, you have been what?
3. Who wrote the Standard Books of Spells Grades 1 and 2?
4. What is it called when brother wands meet?
5. Name the charm used by Ludo at the World Cup to amplify his voice.
6. For what is the charm Aparecium used?
To turn invisible ink visible.
7. What charm requires the use of a Secret-Keeper?
8. What color should the Strengthening Potion be?
9. What plants are used in preparing a confusing potion?
Sneezewort, scurvy-grass, lovage
10. What condition is cured by Glumbumble?
11. What potion makes a werewolf safe so he can keep his mind when he transforms, and what substance makes it useless?
Wolfsbane Potion. Sugar makes it useless.
12. When does Fluxwood, an ingredient used in making Polyjuice Potion, have to be picked?
At the full moon.
13. What color should a Shrinking Solution be?
14. What potion is made from asphodel and wormwood?
Draught of Living Death
15. For what are Jobberknoll feathers used?
Monday, February 25, 2008
Sunday, February 24, 2008
The Muggle Marathon was alright. I ran slower than I did on the same course last year, but I felt much better than I did last year. Last year, things started to go sour around the 9th mile. This year, I did a good job holding out until the 16th mile! While I would've loved to improve my time, my main goal was to feel better about the run, and I did accomplish that. The course is very hilly and quite challenging.
It was fun to see and hear so many Muggles out cheering and sharing water, oranges, and other treats to help us all through the run. There were loads of runners there, and I think it would be safe to bet that some were Wizards... it seemed that quite a few of the runners had no idea what typical Muggle running clothes look like. I saw someone in a squirrel costume, a tiger mask, dressed up as a bear that young Muggles like called Winnie the Pooh, and someone dressed in a super-heroes costume complete with large red plastic wings.
I picked up an ice pack from Madam Pomfrey, and I might end up spending the day in the hospital wing rather than walking to and from classes tomorrow.
Friday, February 22, 2008
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Congrats, Gryffindor! Hold your heads high, Ravenclaw!
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
I don't think I'll be much help in finding the Snitch this time around (I don't know that I'd say I was "much help" finding it last round...but I did try!). It's just hard to set aside time to search on a school day. Lots of classes and homework that I just can't neglect. Also, with all of my classes and work, I can barely keep track of what time the Snitch will be released. The Headmistress is trying to accommodate all of us as much as she possibly can... but I feel almost like I've been put under a Confundus charm after seeing all these different times floating around... I think the Snitch is about to be released soon... or maybe it already has been. Or maybe it's not even the right day! Oh dear... I need a nice mug of hot butterbeer to soothe my nerves!
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
a. Neville p.401
2. When Harry arrives at the Burrow and Mrs. Weasley makes them all dinner the night before they leave for the Quidditch World Cup, what does her wand turn into?
a. rubber mouse p.59
b. rubber chicken
c. rubber duck
d. rubber cat
3. Since some of the sixth-year girls didn't have any quills on them, what did they think Krum might sign their hats in?
a. nail polish
c. lipstick p.248
4. How old does the Quick Quotes Quill say that Rita Skeeter is?
5. What color cloak is wormtail wearing in the Riddle house?
a. Grey (Gray)
b. Black p.7
6. What color is "Mad Eye" Moody's magical eye?
d. Blue p.185
7. What color are the robes that Rita Skeeter was wearing when Harry meets her at the Weighing of the Wands ceremony?
b. Magenta p.303
8. What does Sirius Black tell Harry, Ron and Hermione to call him when speaking around anyone else?
b. Snuffles p.534
9. Which team beat Wales, disqualifying them from competing for the Quidditch World Cup?
c. Uganda p.63
10. What does Madame Maxime say is the only thing her steeds will drink?
a. cabernet sauvignon
c. single-malt whiskey p.245
d. gin and tonics
More amazing HP artwork like this here
Monday, February 18, 2008
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Saturday, February 16, 2008
I spent some time yesterday knitting. I was stuck on part of the pattern instructions "RL1" and "LL1" for a while, but I decided to just go with a regular lifted increase the best I knew how and not worry about if it's right-lifted or left-lifted. Hope that doesn't effect my final project too much!
Today I should work on some goodies for my secret pal here at Hogwarts.
Friday, February 15, 2008
1. What is Professor McGonnagall's first name?
2. Who is the librarian of Hogwarts?
3. What is Madam Rosmerta's job?
She's the bartender at the Three Broomsticks
4. What is Rita Skeeter's secret?
She's an unregistered Animagus
5. Madam Hooch is instructor of what subject?
6. Who is Parvati Patil's best friend?
7. What Quidditch position does Cho Chang play?
Seeker for Ravenclaw!
8. What is the name of Fleur Delacour's little sister?
9. Who is professor of Divination?
10. Who wrote "A History of Magic"?
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Using the bit of Muggle magic called Google Reader has made it so easy for me to keep up with all of my classmates. Unfortunately, it means I don't go to the bulletin boards as often as I used to, and that's where the birthdays are posted. So, I've missed the birthdays of 2 classmates...again! Happy birthdays to Helga Lovegoods and Olive Bloomfleet.
I can't believe that our next round of Quidditch begins in just a few days as well! Feb. 18! I hope I'll be over this horrible cold by then.
We also have a House Quiz that was just posted recently. I'm going to work on that a little later... I promise I'll get it in on time, I just don't even feel like doing homework when I'm feeling this sick!
Monday, February 11, 2008
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Saturday, February 9, 2008
Honeydukes was my first stop. I steered clear of the Canary Creams (and I hope the other students did as well!) and bought up plenty of Chocoballs. I also picked up a few each of Chocolate Frogs & Peppermint Toads. And, I couldn't resist the Fizzing Whizzbees. I hope I get another owl from grandma before the next trip to Hogsmeade because I spent just about all of my money already!
During a quick stop at Zonko's, I bought some self-shuffling playing cards (leave it to me to find practically the only item that can't cause much trouble!) and then I headed over to the Three Broomsticks where some of the other Ravenclaw girls and I drank butterbeer until I thought we'd burst!
We stayed at the Three Broomsticks until it was time to head back to Hogwarts.
1. I taught myself to knit using Debbie Stoller's Stitch n' Bitch handbook. It was my first knitting-related gift and has come in so handy. I wish it had more information (or that I had another book with more information) about finishing or erm...fixing mistakes!
2. I bought a ball of bulky red yarn in Italy and made a scarf. A friend bought me 3 more balls of the same yarn for my birthday and I took apart the scarf, made a hat, took apart the hat, made a poncho, took apart the poncho, made a sweater, took apart the sweater, made another sweater (found part of the first sweater), took apart that sweater and made another hat, which has so far remained in tact. I still have lots of extra yarn.
3. I haven't tried the KnitPicks Harmony needles, but I've been very happy with my Options, so I'd love to give Harmony a chance too. As (bad) luck would have it, right after I ordered fixed 32" cables in small sock sizes, KP introduced cables in 40" and 47" (?) lengths!
4. Although it's not very big, my yarn stash includes yarn bought by me or for me in Italy, Japan, and Peru.
5. To finish a baby blanket in time for a gift, I knitted every possible minute, including on the playground during recess!
6. I suffer from a severe case of Second Sock Syndrome. For this reason, I am attempting to advance my Magic Loop skills. Unfortunately, I'm having much trouble managing anything but toe-up on Magic Loop.
7. After visiting Rome for the first time and seeing an awful lot of chilly-looking homeless people, I knitted a few scarves to give out on my next visit.
8. When I'm on break from Hogwarts, I teach some of my Muggle friends (who range from 3rd grade to 6th grade) how to knit once a week.
9. I am not a monogamous knitter...I always have at least a few things on the needles (some of which are lost causes as I can't remember what pattern/where I stopped/etc.)
10. I only have one little yarn needle, it's plastic and light blue, and gets lost at least three times a month (it's whereabouts are currently unknown).
Friday, February 8, 2008
1. My dad actually started reading the HP series before I did. He wouldn't stop talking about it, and lent me his copy as soon as he finished so we could discuss.
2. I read most of Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets in London.
3. I bought a copy of Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone in Greece as a souvenir for my dad. He never read it...since it was in Greek!
4. I saw Harry Potter in the (waxy) flesh in a window at Potter's Wax Museum in St. Augustine FL this summer. Dobby was there too!
5. I used to live very close to a Jelly Belly Jelly Bean Factory, where I bought my first bag of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans.
6. Although I proudly call myself a Ravenclaw, the Sorting Hat debated putting me in Hufflepuff.
7. I received all of the Harry Potter movies 1-5 as a gift on my last birthday.
8. The neatest souvenir I bought during a trip to Prague, Czech Republic was a Harry Potter puppet.
9. My favorite magical animal has always been a unicorn, and I was disappointed to learn that the wand that chose me does not have a unicorn hair core.
10. While I was reading the 2nd book during a trip to London, I had the pleasure of seeing Dame Maggie Smith perform live in "The Lady in the Van".
Thursday, February 7, 2008
This is all I got to see last time I was in Hogsmeade, just the train platform as we were led off to the boats for Hogwarts.
I'm so excited to really get to go into the town and explore all the shops!
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
The words, in case you've forgotten:
Hoggy warty Hogwarts.
Teach us something, please!
Whether we be old and bald or young with scabby knees,
our heads could do with some interesting stuff.
For now they're bare and full of air, dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us things worth knowing. Bring back what we've forgot.
Just do your best, we'll do the rest, and learn until our brains all rot!
Although dead flies, rotting brains, and scabs are not the usual stuff of beautiful music, somehow this song always manages to inspire and unite us! I'm so happy to be at Hogwarts!
Monday, February 4, 2008
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Your Harry Potter Alter Ego Is...?
created with QuizFarm.com
|You scored as Hermione Granger|
You're one intelligent witch, but you have a hard time believing it and require constant reassurance. You are a very supportive friend who would do anything and everything to help her friends out.
And now the woohoo: Ravenclaw managed to move out of last place! What a wonderful sight to see upon walking into the Great Hall. Even though we didn't find the Snitch, and even though we sadly didn't have 100% participation this go-round, we ended up in 2nd place! While I'm looking forward to another chance for Ravenclaw to move up the ranks, I'm also very much looking forward to the next two weeks until the next Quidditch match, hoping our dear Hogwarts can get back to "normal" for a little while.
Saturday, February 2, 2008
I just took a look at my blog and noticed that I can't see the picture of Cedric, even though I promise I put it there. Just in case it's not just my computer, I feel like I ought to post a picture of him here, just to be on the safe side.
Friday, February 1, 2008
And while you're at it, Ravenclaws--be sure to post your Quidditch answers!